Old Colony’s SkillsUSA Chapter participated in the Skills USA Massachusetts State Skills and Leadership Conference in Marlboro, MA, from April 29 – May 1, 2010. Competing against vocational students from across the state, Old Colony sent 20 students and won two medals in the various competitions. The winning OC medalists were:
- Welding: Travis Desrosiers (Acushnet)
- Chapter Display:
- Lacey Cabral (Acushnet)
- Megan Moniz (Acushnet)
- Brian Poland (Lakeville)
- Brian Wohler (Lakeville)
The Old Colony SkillsUSA Chapter is led by Co-Advisors John Mare and Steven Miranda.
Old Colony’s Chapter of Skills USA participated in the South District Skills Competition on February 24, 2010, at Greater New Bedford Voc-Tech. Hundreds of students from seven southeastern Massachusetts vocational-technical high schools competed. Old Colony students did an outstanding job and captured 21 medals in the 20 contests they participated in.
The winning District medalists were:
Megan Moniz (Acushnet) – Advertising Design
Amanda Lemieux (Rochester) – Customer Service
Brian Poland (Lakeville) – Electronics Technology
Lacey Cabral (Acushnet) – Cosmetology(Under 500 hours)
Phillip Chasse (Acushnet) – Precision Machining Technology
Arthur Moniz (Acushnet) – Welding
- Jarred Varao (Acushnet) – Commercial Baking
- Robert Daniel (Acushnet) – Computer Programming
- Jacob Cornell – (E. Freetown) Electronics Technology
- Holley Taylor – (Carver) Architectural Drafting
- Jake Rutter (Acushnet) – Carpentry
- Nolan Bernier – (E. Freetown) Food and Beverage Service
- Elijah Faulkner (Acushnet) – Office Computer Applications
- Jarod Ferreira (Acushnet) – Precision Machining Technology
- Zachary Bernard (E. Freetown) & Timothy Bergenheim (Rochester) – Web Design
- Chelsea Bonenfant (Carver) – Cosmetology (Over 500 hrs.)
- Ryan Rheaume (Acushnet) – Electronics Applications
- Chance Avery (Carver) – Automotive Service Technology
- Jeremy Mare (Lakeville) – Technical Drafting
- Travis Desrosiers (Acushnet) – Welding
- Kyle LeBlanc (Acushnet) & Brandon Charles (Acushnet) – Web Design
Congratulations to all participants and winners!
All Gold and Silver Medalists will now be eligible compete at the Skills USA State Leadership and Skills Conference to be held at Blackstone Valley Regional Vocational Technical High School in Upton, MA on April 29-May 1, 2010.
Old Colony was represented at the Massachusetts Celebration of National Girls and Women in Sports Day on Feburary 5, 2010, by Acushnet residents Jocelin Westage and Lauren Golda. High Schools across the Commonwealth were invited to send two female athletes to represent their school. The ceremony was held at Faneuil Hall, Boston. Four “Massachusetts Women in Athletics Distinguished Service Award” winners were honored during the ceremony.