Dear Old Colony RVTHS Parents and Athletes:
The role of the parent in the education of a student is vital. The support shown in the home is manifested in the ability of the student to accept the opportunities presented at the school and in life.
There is a value system – established at home, nurtured in the school – which young people are developing. Their involvement in classroom and other activities contributes to that development. Trustworthiness, citizenship, caring, fairness and respect are lifetime values taught through athletics.
These are principles of good sportsmanship and character. With them, the spirit of competition thrives, fueled by honest rivalry, courteous relations and graceful acceptance of the results. As a parent of a student – athletes at our school, your goals should include:
- Realize that athletics are part of the educational experience, and the benefits of involvement go beyond the final score of a game;
- Encourage our students to perform their best, just as we would urge them on with their class work;
- Participate in positive cheers that encourage our students- athletes; and discouraging an cheers that would redirect that focus – including those that taunt and intimidate opponents, their fans and officials;
- Learn, understand, and respect the rules of the game, the officials who administer them and their decision;
- Respect the task of our coaches as teachers; and support them as they strive to educate our youth;
- Respect our opponents as students-athletes, and acknowledge then for striving to do their best;
- Develop a sense of dignity and civility under all circumstances.
You can be a part of a message sent through our community that interscholastic athletics potentially have lifetime learning experience impact. Unlike sport events we see on television at the collegiate and professional level where entertainment is the mission and education is not a primary objective, our goal is to have positive lifelong affect. This message must be communicated if we are to continue to have success in this area.
We look forward to serving you in the years ahead, and appreciate your continued support. … Go Cougars!
All the best,